Saturday, November 28, 2009

Last day at school

One of the highlights of my time in Sontule has been teaching at the local primary school. I mostly taught Spanish to the first grade, 6 and 7 year-olds, and maths to the second grade, 7 and 8 year-olds. I got to know the kids really well and we had a great time. This was the thing that got me known around the community as the whole school knew who I was and so all their families did too. Playtimes last a good hour and mainly involve the boys playing baseball or pretending to shoot one another, while the girls organise themselves into friendly team games. The views never got boring.
It was quite a change to teaching in England. Not only was I teaching in Spanish, but my only resources were a board, a pen and some paper. I soon adapted and definitely learnt as much myself as the children did.
Climbing on a ruined wall by the outdoor school kitchen. You would never get away with this as a teacher in the UK.

No comments: