Wednesday, September 16, 2009

'Chilastra' strikes

This began on a Wednesday as an unconcerning tiny itch and a little red mark. It appeared after carrying a big log to be chopped for firewood from the hill across the road from the house in Sontule. Over the next two days, it spread around my neck and in patches on my face.
By Saturday my neck looked like a nasty, weeping burn. It was very sensitive and I couldn't turn my head for the pain. It did provide a point of interest for the locals in the village we were in, who turned up throughout the weekend to stare in a fairly horrified manner until we told them that it was 'chilastra', which seemed to make sense. We're not sure exactly what 'chilastra' is, just that it's apparently caused by the environment, it's not very nice and it usually disappears after a week or so. Several people in Sontule claim to have had it, and while all agree that it's painful and unpleasant, the point was also made that I was lucky I didn't have it on my bottom like some unfortunate folks who would not have been sitting down or dressing for several days.Luckily, I had a willing nurse on hand to administer a number of remedies. The leaves I was given to chew on then apply, made little difference, tasted horrible and stuck to my wound. More successful was the freshly cut aloe vera that Rachel smeared gently along my sore patches. A week and a half on, the skin on my neck has scabbed over, peeled off and is now fresh and smooth after the kind of skin peel you have to pay a lot of money for in certain clinics.

3 comments:

deadmanjones said...

I can't cope with Britain's flora and fauna without a constant supply of anti-histamines. God help me in your position.

rachel said...

i have some traumeel cream that might help as well when you get back to leon! i'm impressed with the quality of all your photos, simon, they're great!

Unknown said...

"Chilastra" is a stinging caterpillar..... the one we caught is genus automeris and maybe illustris species. I am in Nicaragua and captured a couple of them.......avoiding touching them - the locals told me they "burn" and they call them "chilastra" and "totoloquil"